RMIT is a global university of technology, design and enterprise.
Scholarships are awarded to International students commencing a Higher Degree Research program (Masters or PhD) at RMIT on the basis of academic excellence and research potential. International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) are funded by the Australian Government.
Value and duration
The IPRS scholarship provides tuition fees for a period of 3 years, with the possibility of a 6 month extension and the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of your program (this is normally four years for a research doctorate degree and two years for a research master degree).
If successful in receiving an IPRS offer, your scholarship will be partnered with an Australian Postgraduate Award which will provide you with a living allowance.
To be considered for scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience. All other applicants will be considered ineligible.
Applicants applying for scholarship must be in receipt of a RMIT program offer for the relevant application period, by the close of the scholarship round to be considered.
|Scholarship round||Scholarship application open/close date||Scholarship commencement||Must hold program offer for commencement in|
|To be confirmed*||2017||Semester 1, 2017 or
Semester 2, 2017
|18 January – 2 May 2016*||Semester 2, 2016||Semester 2, 2016|
* You must have been offered a program place that is not conditional on meeting English language requirements OR provide evidence of English language proficiency and meet the English language requirement of the research program before the closing date of the scholarship application.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- not already hold a PhD or equivalent, if applying for a PhD
- not already hold a Master by research or equivalent, if applying for a Master by research program
- provide details of any external funding for tuition or living expenses that you have received or applied for
- hold an Australian student visa for the term of the scholarship and comply with the conditions of the visa.
RMIT will consider you ineligible if:
- you commenced your research program prior to the scholarship commencement period in which you are applying
- you have not met the RMIT English requirements by the close of the scholarship round
- you have held an Australian Awards / DFAT scholarship in the two years prior to commencing the Research Degree with IPRS.
- you are receiving a scholarship for which any component receives funding from the Australian Government
- you have previously received an IPRS for a Research Doctorate, unless you are upgrading from a Research Masters Degree at RMIT.
Key dates and how to apply
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
As the holder of this scholarship you:
- must commence your studies in the scholarship commencement period in which you are applying
- not defer your studies to another year
- are not able to defer your studies to another year. If a deferral is required, you must apply again the following year if you are unable to take up your award.
If you have Dependants, the IPRS will provide an Overseas Student Health Cover policy to cover them also.
RMIT University requires that you meet English language requirements for entry into research programs. Your test result must be current (i.e. taken no more than two years before your research program commences).
Your RMIT English Worldwide (REW) test result must also be current (i.e. taken no more than one year before your research program commences).
You can contact
|SGR Scholarship team|
|Phone||(+61 3) 9925 5570|