The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Reporting to the FACT Team Leader/OPS Manager, the Disaster Management Delegate will:
- Provide technical oversight and guidance for the DM programme planned for the operation
- Provide the Red Cross Movement Toolkit and processes approved by the movement.
- Ensure that the DM programme activities are implemented within the established budget and timeframes and that Federation policies, procedures and directions are followed.
- Explore, identify, design, implement, monitor and report other Relief activities as possible alternatives to the DM program
- Complement existing Nigeria RC National Society’s capacities to design and lead the DM Relief component of the operation
- Manage the IFRC DM programme, implemented in partnership with the ICRC into the operational areas.
- Provide extensive input and technical support to programme design and planning and coordinate effectively with other technical sectors.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Disaster Management Delegate will:
- Support, the National Society in the development of the operation response plans, contingency plans, standard operating procedures, emergency assessment systems and procedures, logistics procedures and pre-positioning of relief supplies under the supervision of the Head of Nigeria Operations and in collaboration with the Logistics Delegate;
- Ensure professional logistics support is given to the IFRC’s DM programme and synergy with other programmes developed for the Nigeria operations;
- Ensure processes of relevant assessments, in collaboration with the NS, the Ops Manager and the Head of Nigeria Operations, developing terms of reference, mobilizing deployment of resources and reviewing reports.
- Ensure DM response activities are planned and implemented according to the operation’s priorities.
- Assist the National Society in the development of disaster response training (CDRT, NDRT, RDRT) and capacity building needs.
- Ensure that community resilience programming is managed and implemented in accordance with IFRC strategic programme framework, and agreed standards including Red Cross Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
- Collect documents and reports relevant for the DM objectives of the Country Cluster Office and the Nigeria operations for dissemination and documentation.
- Monitor emerging disasters for rapid and accurate information sharing and activation of disaster response mechanisms (DMIS) in close collaboration with the Head of Nigerian operations.
- In coordination with the Nigerian RC (DM, CASH, and livelihoods programme counterparts) and the IFRC’s operational team, review the relevant plan of action and budgets.
- Provide support to ensure the efficient and effective implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of DM activities supported by IFRC’s operation in Nigeria.