The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria, wishes to engage the services of a suitably and qualified candidate to fill the position below on a Fixed-Term basis[table id=30 /]
- Under the general guidance of the Protection Officer, the Senior Protection Assistant monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
- The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses.
- He/she contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor.
- The Senior Protection Assistant also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems.
- To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
The incumbent will have the following Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counseling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation as well as support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness. 6 Contribute to country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- 4 years relevant job experience.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Good computer skills.
- Completed Protection Learning Programme.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should email their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) below to the email address quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Click here to download P11 Form (Doc) and Submit to the email; email@example.com
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.