Various scholarships are awarded globally by the name Nelson Mandela name to offer a tribute and honor him. He himself also contributed always to the education sector in his lifetime.
Since its inception in 2003 through the Mandela Rhodes Foundation a total of 200 Mandela Rhodes Scholarships have been awarded.
The Nelson Mandela Foundation and the Rhodes Trust via Mandela Rhodes Foundation offer Rhodes Scholarships to African students each year. The scholarships are totally concerned to the benefit of current and future generations of Africans. Building exceptional leadership capacity in Africa is the chief focus of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation.
Mandela Rhodes Scholarships are not only a bursary as with the funding it focuses on leadership development and encourage the exploration of key social issues. The Nelson Mandela Scholarships are available for African students to undertake postgraduate study in South African universities, alongside further leadership development opportunities to continue and upgrade their academic level.
- Tuition fees
- Monthly living allowances and settling-in allowance
- Fixed allowance to cover purchase of books and attend conferences in Canada
- Health insurance coverage
- Fees for study permit
- Be a citizen AND resident of sub-Saharan Africa;
- Be between 22 and 35 years old (at the beginning of the study program);
Have completed a university degree meeting the minimum academic requirements for admission into a Master’s degree in Canada (a minimum average of B [75%] – check equivalencies on the right hand-side of this page);
- Have a minimum of two years and a maximum of five years of full-time work experience in the public sector, civil society sector or a research institute in Africa;
- Meet the language requirements in French and/or English at the university where you will study;
- Meet all the academic and admission requirements of the study program of choice
Eligible Regions: Sub-Saharan African countries. For further details please visit their official website.
- Deadline to complete the Preliminary Questionnaire: 13th October, 2018
- Selection process: 16th October to 31st December, 2018
- Pre-selected candidates notified by email: January-February 9 2019
- Admission to universities: January to March 2018
- Pre-departure process (visa, accommodation, pre-departure orientation): February to July 2019
- All other candidates notified of results: May 2019
- Orientation session in Canada: Mid- August 2019
- Start of study programs: End of August/beginning of September 2019